Colour photo showing a view along a row of three-storey 19th century buildings built in a light ashlar stone. Parking bays line the road in front of the buildings. Two cars are parked out front.
Broad Street, Stamford, Lincolnshire © Historic England View photo DP217288
Broad Street, Stamford, Lincolnshire © Historic England View photo DP217288

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) and the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards for Homes

This page looks at how Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) and also private rented property regulations apply to listed buildings and buildings in conservation areas.

When do you need an EPC?

You need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) when you build, sell or rent a building. Valid for 10 years, EPCs record the energy efficiency of a building, rated high to low, from A to G. 

As an owner, you will need an EPC to sell your building.

As a landlord, you will need an EPC to demonstrate compliance to the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards.

Owners and landlords are responsible for making EPCs available to prospective buyers and tenants, who should receive a copy of the certificate and any exemptions in place before moving into the property.

More about EPCs and how to get one

EPC exemptions

Some buildings are exempt from the requirement to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). Use the link below to see the list of buildings that do not need an EPC. 

EPCs and buildings that do not need one

The modelling and methodology that EPCs are based on, and the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards are currently both under review by government. In the meantime, when you have an EPC assessment, you should give careful consideration to the measures it recommends. Some recommendations may be inappropriate for both the fabric performance, character and appearance of your building. Carrying out inappropriate work to meet a specific EPC rating can result in harm to the building fabric and to the health of the occupants. 

EPCs for Landlords

The Domestic Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES) Regulations set a minimum energy efficiency rating of E for all tenancies from April 2020. 

If a rental property cannot meet that standard, the landlord needs to register a valid exemption in order to comply.

Exemptions for landlords

In some circumstances, buildings with an EPC certificate will not be able to meet the EPC rating required to comply with MEES. There are several exemptions available to landlords. Demonstrating that making energy efficiency improvements would have a negative impact on a listed building or a building in a conservation area is just one of the types of exemption available.

Read the MEES guidance for landlords

To register an exemption, you will need to submit copies of any correspondence or relevant documentation (such as a local authority planning decision notification and listed building consent).

Register an exemption 

Potential impact of EPC recommendations

To find out more about the impact that energy efficiency work might have on the significance and appearance of your property, the following sources of information are available:

Your local authority's conservation officer should be able to advise you as to whether the work recommended would unacceptably alter the character or appearance of your listed building and if you would need to apply for listed building consent or submit a planning application.

You may also want to commission a conservation accredited surveyor, architect or heritage adviser to support you with the listed building consent or planning permission application. He or she can advise on appropriate energy efficiency measures and provide technical advice.